Thursday, January 28, 2010

Saltines



Everybody has a culinary guilty pleasure. If you say you don't you're a liar, and you probably eat Spam by candlelight when your parents put you to bed. Mine is the saltine. And not any saltine--the generic saltine put out by whatever grocery store I go to. And here's why.

Saltines do a number of things for me. First off, they are a decent, casual snack that can be a light lunch if I'm in a hurry. They are versatile. They can take a jam just as easily as a brie. They can be slathered in hot sauce or any other sauce for that matter. They can be eaten plain, particularly the ones with a decent amount of salt (and nothing pisses me off more than buying saltines that have little to no salt; I bought saltines, not cardboard).

Secondly, they go together with my favorite and simplest of soups--tomato. When I was a kid, I was never a fan of that soggy bread texture resulted from placing crackers in soups. Therefore, I never did it. Tangentially, I hate cereal (to this day) for that very same reason: soggy bread/crackers are just too much for me. But for saltines, my tastes have matured (if you can call it that), and I like nothing more than a good tomato and basil soup with freshly cracked saltines and ground pepper. It's an incredible meal, one that I wish to eventually "perfect."

Mmmmmmmmm.

What's your guilty food pleasure?

2 comments:

  1. Saltines are part of my regular shopping trips. So cost effective. I'm a huge fan of "guilty pleasure comfort" food like spam, scrapple and corned beef from a can.

    http://www.bltidm.com/2009/11/question-would-you-eat-this-crap.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corned beef is something that I can never admit to, but. . .I remember first laying my eyes on it and never looking back. Corned beef hash at a seedy diner? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete