Monday, March 8, 2010

White Truffle Oil



Yes, I know it's fake and not made from real truffles.  Yes, I know it's not the same as having actual truffle slices or shavings.  But . . . the flavor!  I used this with making a sauce for lobster, and to say it interacted well with the lobster meat would be an understatement.

Sometimes, when we cook, we have go-to ingredients.  For a while, mine was curry powder.  Curry is so flexible and so easy to use in small quantities.  See, when we season, we almost always overdo it.  That's the nature of the beast . . . we need to have more to compensate for our perception of inadequate flavor (especially those who cook a fair amount, largely because you get used to salt very quickly; the opposite is also true, btw--more on this later!).  But I think after this past week of experimenting, I feel that WTO will soon be it.  It's so versatile, and simply adds a richness and a depth, that when used appropriately, enhances the umami and meat flavors of a dish.

Stay tuned for some more recipes; in the past week, I've done a scallop dish and a lobster dish to a variety of degrees of success.  I have one lobster left, and I will probably tackle that beast in the next day or so.

So my apologies for the lack of posts, it was my break, and boy oh boy did I need it.

3 comments:

  1. I new it was quiet on your home front! I figured it was death by lobster in the ring :)

    Yes, truffle oil is da bomb when it comes to not having the real thing, but I will say there are also some bombs in the truffle oil business. I have only found a few that smell fantastic, but then the flavor is blah, like rancid fat as if it sat too long, or was over heated with no proper storage.

    Do you agree, have you tried a variety? gourmet attitudes out of NYC is the best so far, you should order some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a looooong week. One more week of this, then I can be more active!

    And I do. I tried a fairly cheap WTO a few years ago and it was very...how do you say...pungent. The taste was OK, but the smell was just nuts. I couldn't get over it, and it affected my senses when I took a bite out of a dish made with it.

    You have a link to GA? I'd love to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.gourmetattitudes.com in NYC, I will see if I can get you a sample, won't promise, but try!

    ReplyDelete